Mamma Mia Girls Night Out

Normally, I'm glued to the TV on Wednesday night watching the latest episode of Lost, and since I missed last night, don't tell me whether or not Locke is really dead... I still have to catch up! Since my husband is almost always tuned to the History Channel, the only TV I really watch on a regular basis is Lost, What Not to Wear on TLC, and Antiques Roadshow (yes, I admit it, I am an Antiques Roadshow geek). Last night, however, I went to see the Broadway musical Mamma Mia with Krista, Molly, and Laura, all fellow Chi Omega alumnae here in town. What a fun girls night out! You just have to have those every now and then.....especially with little ones at home. Since my department at the College falls under the same area as the Artist Series, we had primo seats: 9th row! Great show with all those fun old ABBA songs, and it was very cool how they wrapped the storyline around those ABBA lyrics.

On the amusing side, we were sitting smack dab in the middle of a very large senior citizen group, so you had the four of us girls dancing and singing amongst a large group of folks sitting quietly, watching us like perhaps we had had one too many martinis at dinner (I only had one beer, honest!). One little old lady just in front of us did start really getting into it during the finale, though (which is what this picture is from); she was standing up, singing loudly, and swinging her arms back and forth, much to the amusement of her friends, who I guess had not quite mananged to shed their inhibitions in their old age quite as well as she had. I plan to be like that when I'm 80!

Anywho, if you ever get the opportunity to see Mamma Mia, I highly recommend it, particularly for a girls night out! Here's the national tour website. And check out the FCCJ Artist Series website for information on all the great Broadway shows we bring to Jacksonville.

Random thoughts: Speaking of being a cool 80-year-old, my great Aunt Livy, who will be 86 in August, has become an email queen and actually used the phrase "batchin' it" in a note to me the other day....as in "Me and Sam [the dog] are batchin' it while Darleen and Charles are in Isreal". No lie. I about fell out of my chair.

Like this post? Click here to sign up for free weekly email reminders.

1 comment:

Aubree said...

Oh, no...I don't even know what "batchin' it" means! I feel a bit uncool myself right now. :)