Sunday Evening Shopping Spree: Sweet Repeats


I’ve been randomly featuring my favorite Etsy finds here on my blog for a while now, and I’ve finally decided to get a little better organized! Welcome to the first Sunday Evening Shopping Spree! I love Jodi Ohl’s work. Jodi says, “I am a banker by day, artist by night! My latest works have been all about my growth as a woman and artist--and the inspiration that has sparked my creativity as I travel on this journey.” She lives in Aberdeen, North Carolina. This particular piece really speaks to me, since I’ve been asking myself that question a lot lately. It’s a steal at $15 for an original 8 x 8. I’ll give you a couple days to beat me to it! Visit Jodi’s shop here. You can also read more about Jodi and see more of her work on her blog.

So just where did the time go anyway? Yesterday my girls were tiny little babies, totally dependent on Mama and Daddy. Now it seems like they’ve grown into little people overnight, constantly reminding me “I can do it myself, Mama!” Tomorrow, I’m quite certain they’ll be starting college! Parenthood really makes you take a good hard look at life, doesn’t it? For me, it’s grounded me a bit, in a good way, I guess. I think Jimmy Buffet said it best when he wrote, “I’m growing older but not up.” Yes, I’m growing older, as I’m reminded of when trying to keep up with three five-year-olds at the zoo all day by myself (the girls brought a friend today!), but my girls are allowing me to not grow up in a sense as well, because in many ways, I’m able to relive the fun parts of my childhood with them. I guess that’s one of the benefits of having your children a little later in life! So what has parenthood taught you?

Like this post? Click here to sign up for free weekly email reminders. Click here for the Happy Shack Designs website!

4 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

As I was going to pick my son up from soccer practice at the junior high school this week, I thought to myself, How did we get here so fast?? It seems so recent that I was dropping him off at preschool and he would cry as I drove off. My daughter is five years younger than he but growing up even more quickly. Parenthood has taught me more than I could ever put into words, but mostly I can sum it up Unconditional Love. And as they get older, they learn to give as well as receive it.

ELLIE said...

I loved looking at the world through my children's eyes - it brought a whole new meaning to me - things that I took for granted my children saw the beauty and uniqueness in - I loved experiencing life again with them - now they are all grown up and even tho those exciting times are not there - when they call to fill me on what has been happening - there is still that spark that lights up inside me!!!
take care
Ellie

Jodi Ohl said...

Thank you Kelly for the lovely feature, and your questions about time and thoughts about the children are exactly the emotional response I was hoping for while creating the piece. While I don't do as many collage pieces as I did when I first started mixed media, this piece definitely is one of my favorites. I'm forever wondering how the passage of time slips through my fingers like sand in an hourglass that waits for no one. All we can do is enjoy what we have when we have it.

Thank you again for the lovely feature :)

Jodi

cath c said...

a couple of weeks ago i was sending my 13 yr old off to a dance after getting a hair cut which he referred to as making him 'look sexy."

i almost died. laughing and otherwise.

thank goodness in many ways that i also have a 10 yr old and a baby, so i can keep measuring time through their growth.