Fresh Faces and Birthday Places

So here we are…six years ago today I brought my girls into this world. I told you about their grand arrival on this earth here. I read about a self-portrait challenge on Cristi’s blog who read about it on Crystal’s blog who read about it on Tara’s blog (don’t you love the connectedness blogging brings?), and I thought that the girls’ birthday would be the ideal day to show my fresh face and include my girls. I'm not one for serious pictures (as obviously seen here), so we broke out the grins.

Having girls, I’m acutely aware of the pressure society often puts on us to look beautiful, with beauty products and quick fixes being major money makers. We all need to cherish our beauty, both inner and outer, and learn to feel comfortable in our own skin. What better example to set for our children?

So here I am in all my no make-up, no hair dryer glory. I don’t wear much make-up to begin with, so this isn’t much of a stretch! I couldn’t do the “first thing out of bed” picture because it’s still dark when I get up, so this is fresh out of the shower this morning.

The girls are still in their pajamas with messy hair. I love the picture of the three of us, Sarah just peeking up over the bottom of the frame. We’re sitting in the window seat in their room.

I took the day off today to spend the day with the girls for their birthday. After our morning photo shoot, we went to Yes You Canvas, which I first told you about here. Then I took them to their favorite lunch spot, Chick-fil-A, and then to see the movie G Force (the talking guinea pigs really were a hoot).

After a little shopping trip to Reddi-Arts and Target to spend their birthday money from Papa and Granddad, we capped the day off with dinner and birthday cake at Chowder Ted’s. Ted’s is one of those special neighborhood places, and we feel very blessed to have Ted and the gang within walking distance from our house.

The girls’ first trip there was at six weeks old and was actually their very first trip out of the house after coming home from the NICU. They sat on the tables in their carriers and slept the whole time, and we’ve spent every birthday dinner there since, the girls birthday, DH’s birthday and my birthday.

Ted and his wife Carole have become dear friends, and the whole Ted’s gang are like extended family for us. In the picture here are the girls with Teresa, Ted and Amy.

Thank you, Lord, for this family. I am truly blessed. Happy birthday, dear sweet baby girls.

13 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Awesome post Kelly! You look beautiful and the girls look adorable as always!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sarah & Olivia! 6 years is a big milestone - we wish you many more. As always, I love your posts and they ALWAYS bring a smile and/or even a tear.

&%* Nancy & Morty

Unknown said...

I love your post! and Happy Birthday to Sarah + Olivia!!!
Flor (floreshayes@gmail.com)
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Allie said...

Happy Birthday to your precious girls, Kelly!
What an inspiration this post is! You are so right about setting that example for them!
You all look beautiful and sooo happy!

Carmen said...

You and your girls are so beautiful Kelly. Looks like a perfect birthday. They're paintings are precious!

michelle allen said...

What a fantastic day. Their canvases turned out beautifully. Birthday blessings to your girls!

Anonymous said...

I cant believe the girls are 6 already! They are beautiful little artists with WONDERFUL EXCITING personalities!

Happy Birthday Girls!

Love Miss Whitney

ana said...

what a wonderful day! happy birthday wishes & i love love love the paintings they did. :)

Gina Lee Kim said...

Honestly, the word cute just doesn't cut it (THAT ALSO INCLUDES YOU TOO KELLY!) xoxo & warm wishes, ~g

julie king said...

your blessings are adorable and i can see that they are quite the budding artists, too!

WieberArt said...

Your blog and your postings are as beautifully refreshing as the faces in these photos. I really enjoyed this post ! Grace and Will :)

cath c said...

oh, you made me all teary with this post!

i absolutely love the girls' elephant paintings! so indiviual, and so full on the canvas!

cath c said...

and the wake up photos!