CC Weekly Creativity Challenge: Grade School

Today is my girls' first day of 1st grade. Where has this summer gone!? This morning I've been thinking about that and realized that the older I get, the older my girls get, and the more scattered-brained I become. I suppose it’s the constant juggle of full-time-work-outside-the-home mom, wife, creative artist, friend, sister, and every other role I have in this crazy life of mine. I’m forever losing and misplacing things these days. Last week it was my wallet. After a day and night of panic, I finally found it under my desk at work. I must have missed my purse when I was trying to put it back in there, and it just ended up on the floor. DH has found the peanut butter in the fridge and the milk in the pantry on many occasions (well, okay, I’ll admit that I’ve had that strange form of dyslexia for as long as I can remember…I’ve also been known to sleep walk and move furniture in my sleep but that’s a whole other story).

Car keys are also a big thing for me. I’ll leave them in the typical absent-minded professor places like on top of my van, in the front door after unlocking it, or in the bathroom sink. But I must admit that the strangest place I’ve found them is probably the freezer. And no, it’s not the girls putting them there; I’m quite certain it’s my missing brain. A few weeks ago, walking out to my van after having lunch with a friend, I couldn’t find my keys yet again. I finally found them…in the van…with the van still running. I should have just left a banner in the front windshield that said, “Free van! Here for the taking! Already started and nice and cool for you!” I’ve caught myself almost doing that same thing more than once. I guess my brain is just thinking about other things when I park and I just get out… Thank God for OnStar. It’s a little creepy the things they can do, but their service is one of the main reasons I drive a Chevy.

I don’t remember being this scatter-brained before I had children. But then I guess my life is far fuller and far richer than it was before I had children. Funny that I didn’t decide to take on a creative business on top of my full-time job until after I had children. Though I’ve always been creative, I do know that having children has brought out even more creativity in my day-to-day life. These top two pictures are two of my favorites from this summer, and they seem appropriate for today…almost like the girls are saying goodbye to summer vacation. The bottom one I took this morning, saying hello to a new school year with their new teacher. Yes, where does the time go? Those tiny little babies that were born no longer than the length of my forearm are getting taller and taller every day. Any first day of school memories you’d like to share?

9 comments:

cath c said...

these days, i'd like to know where i placed my thought mid-sentence....

first grade. what a fabulous sponge of learning year they will have!

Recreationalart said...

Hey! I blogged your giveaway today XD

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

OH Kelly!!! We are twins! And I just had to cry my eyeballs after reading your post.. 'saying goodbye to summer'.. Awesome photos... awesome journaling....

I am your scatterbrained twin... I often do that milk and peanut butter thing... often...

I have key less entry for my key issues... and just leave the keys in my car...

What else.. OH! My husband says I can not multitask.. I multi-miss... When I multitask, something always gets messed up!
And, yes, I am a two job, creative mom, wife, etc. etc. etc...
Today I shredded someone's check at work.. on accident...

Oh my!

Love ya..

circleinthesand said...

Oh my goodness, your writings are always so entertaining!!! I remember the days of The First Day of School - the butterflies, the excitement and the tears - of course, I was the one with the tears, the girls always did just fine! Your pics of your little sweethearts are just beautiful!! Here's wishing them a terrific First Grade!!!

Kelly Warren said...

thanks everyone. oh, andi! i do believe we were separated at birth! :-) i have quite a few twins out there, right cath?

cath c said...

even if i am about a foot shorter. ;)

Gina Lee Kim said...

These are *beautiful* pictures! And beautiful daughters!! You must be so proud.

OK...for me it's new school supplies, new crayons, new pencils, new paper that gives me that euphoric back-to-school memories.

April said...

I call this crazy phenomenon "Mommy Mushy Brain"! It would seem they suck all your brain cells through the umbilical cord!!

Carol Sloan said...

You're right...your memory was eaten by your children...just wait until they get older! I can't remember anything... If it's not written on my "to Do List" - it doesn't happen!