Taking a Big Artful Journey Leap

At 6am tomorrow morning, I’ll be on my way to the airport to fly to California for An Artful Journey and DJ's class. Is it okay to admit I’m as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rockers? Well, I am. Several reasons, I guess. There’s the obvious: I’ve never been away from my girls for five full days. And having just been gone three days for our state conference, that Mama guilt is hitting me. Then there’s the whole idea of getting on a plane by myself and flying across the country to spend four days with more than 100 women I’ve never met! That’s daunting and exciting at the same time! I’ve flown alone before so that’s not really the issue, although this is the first time I’ve flown anywhere for fun by myself since the girls were born. All that aside, I think the biggie for me is the class itself. I’m seriously pushing myself here. The more I look at what I’ll be learning, the more I think “Whoa! Hope I’m not in over my head!” So I’ve been reminding myself daily (okay, hourly…okay, maybe every three or four minutes) that above all else, I’ll have a great time and learn something new and I WILL NOT allow myself to compare my skills the those whom I know have much more advanced skills than I do (yes, I’ve checked out their blogs… :-). In honor of this trip, I created this page in my art journal Sunday night. So, my friends, here goes my big leap. I have one suitcase full of art supplies, one suitcase full of clothes, and my camera in my backpack! Wish me luck! Back Tuesday!

13 comments:

lori vliegen said...

have an absolutely FABULOUS trip, kelly!! and, you go girl.....you are about to grow by leaps and bounds, so leap on, gal.....leap on!!! can't wait to hear all of the details when you get back!! :))

chrissy said...

i am soooo super happy that you are leaping.
i.ll be there leaping right along side of you.
even though we are in different classes, i DO TOTALLY relate to the feeling of not rising to the talent of those who will be around me, but i.ve looked all over your blog and i KNOW you have an immense load of creativity kelly.
kiss the red headed blessings and come and play with me.
see you in a few hours.
c

Becca said...

Have a wonderful time Kelly! Can't wait to see your creations! Rebecca

Karen Faulkner said...

Take a deep breath and jump!

Mary Lamoray said...

Have a great time!! And don't worry... the girls will be fine :)

Unknown said...

Have a great time Kelly! You totally deserve this and are going to make 100 new friends and come back totally rejuvenated you lucky girl! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get home. :-)

Glad said...

Leap and the net will appear!! I applaud you stepping out of your comfort zone and going for it. It's scary, it's big and it's HUGE! Congrats and have a wonderful experience!!!

Pen and Paperie said...

It looks like a fabulous class! Jumping in over your head is a little scary (a lot scary...I am a shy one, I can relate). But remember...classes are for learning!! Embrace to opportunity to ask questions. If you are next to someone with crazy amazing skills...ask for tips!! Have fun!!

Connie said...

you will have a wonderful time, kelly....and DJ is a dream! I thought i couldn't paint - but DJ makes the class stress free and non competitive and you will be amazed at the gorgeous art you turn out.
give her a big hug from me (if you remember!).
connie williams

Kirsten said...

Hi Kelly! I hope you have had a safe, creative and fun trip! I'm so glad that you took the leap of faith in believing in yourself!

Because you are so inspiring to me, have a wonderfully happy and creative blog, I am passing on the "Sunshine Blog Award" to you! I look forward to enjoying more of your beautiful posts and amazing creativity! And I’m encouraging my readers to follow your blog as well…….. Thanks for the inspiration!
http://gardenvibe.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-award.html

Never stop believing in yourself...

tami said...

OH, I hope you have a happy, wonderful trip. I know you will come back with lots of enthusiasm and stories!!! Can't wait to hear about it.

Leah Virsik said...

Kelly, so great to meet you at An Artful Journey! Your book is beautiful and very inspiring! I love that you're the only one who finished! I definitely want to keep in touch. You really accomplished a lot and it was great staying up with you late and dancing on the table… ah, now you'll have some explaining to do. :) Looking forward to hearing more about your life and your dreams.

xo
Leah

Kelly Warren said...

thanks everyone! LEAH, YOU ROCK! We had such an awesome time together!