And So Are You...

Neon Stripe Socks-72

This is all that matters really, isn't it? The little legs and heart and brain that rise above those neon socks? Sure, they are Sarah's neon socks on my front steps that obviously need a cleaning, but they could be any little girl's socks or any little boy's socks. Or even any big girl's or big boy's socks. It's the person that wears them that matters. Today I was reminded that I'm in a position to make a difference in other people's lives, and that is truly a gift I have been given. I'm in a position to do so much more than help a student figure out what classes she should take next term. Or help a little girl figure out what she should wear to school tomorrow. And I hope I did that today. I hope I had the right words.

But you know what? So are you. Every one of us is in a position to make a positive difference in someone else's life if only we take the opportunities that are often sitting right in front of us, so close that we may not even realize it. We proverbially can't see the forest for the trees. What can you do to make a difference? It's sometimes the smallest of gestures that can have the biggest of impacts.

It's been one of those days...  By the way, have you seen the documentary Waiting for Superman? I showed that to my ENC 1102 class tonight. Watch it. Find it on Netflix. It's worth your 111 minutes.

1 comment:

Cari Byers said...

Thank you just simply thank you I have been stuck in the forest but I am begining to see the trees1 ;)