Monday, June 27, 2011

Mix it Up Monday: Altered Book Completed!

Green Book 2

I finished up this book before we left for vacation but didn't have a chance to photograph it.... and realized there's a whole new learning curve in photographing books! I shared the signature covers with you here. I made the cover from a $1 bin book from Michaels (and had so much fun with it, I went back and bought 10 more of those $1 books after I finished the cover!).

Green Book 1

Green Book 3

I cut the original pages out and set them aside for another project. Then I covered the cover with kraft paper using PVA glue. From there I gessoed over the kraft paper and added layers of colored tissue papers and stenciling with both stamping ink and spray ink. A little more gesso smeared here and there and a few more squirts of ink for good measure, and she was done.

Green Book 6

Green Book 8

I then waxed both the cover and the signature pages with Judikins MicroGlaze. Thanks to DJ Pettitt for that little trick. It sealed the papers, taking away the tackiness from the gel medium, and really made the colors pop.

Green Book 10

For the pages, I did three signatures of acid free card stock, sewn with a simple pamphlet stitch (I'm a fan of simple stitches). I made the signature covers a tad smaller than the rest of the pages, and I may change that up next time, but overall, I really enjoyed this process, and I see many more of these in my future!

Green Book 4

6 comments:

Marisa Hopkins said...

Once again, you've created something OH SO VERY GORGEOUS!! Love it, Kelly!!

Joyelle @ An Artful Endeavor said...

This is so beautiful! Great work :)

Kelly Warren said...

Thanks Marisa and Joyelle!

Becky Shander said...

Congratulations on finishing this beautiful book...you must be so happy with the results. And thank you for sharing your how-to steps/tips.

iHanna said...

Oooiii, what a pretty book and such great photos of it. Excellent book art!

Kelly Warren said...

Thanks Becky and iHanna!