The Importance of Not Taking Yourself Too Seriously

goofy Kelly

So, here I am in all my goofy glory. When I got home from work earlier this week, my girls decided they wanted to do a “makeover” on me. Olivia did the hair, and let me just say, it took her some time! Sarah did my makeup. It doesn’t really show up too well here, but trust me, I am all glittered up right fine and dandy. The makeover also included a foot massage with lotion and a manicure. I was not allowed to see myself until they were completely done, but I think the finished product speaks for itself. I look fabulous! They are currently taking new clients if you’d like to schedule an appointment.

I posted this picture on Facebook and received numerous comments. It’s now my new goofy profile pic. It got me to thinking about how many people would feel comfortable posting a picture like this, or any not so flattering or professional but otherwise entertaining photo, on a public site. I didn’t hesitate because, well, I’m goofy, and I’m just fine with that. Always have been and always will be. But I know that I’m connected to people on Facebook with whom I work that would be aghast at posting a picture like this. Why do you think that is?

I work in education, so yes, degrees are important and many of my colleagues list their degrees after their names in the signature lines of their emails. Great, if that’s your thing and you want the world to know it; you earned it, so more power to you. But I don’t, and when I think about it, I’d feel a little funny doing that. I have a Master of Arts in English degree, but that certainly doesn’t define me; it just affords me the opportunity to teach college English. I believe that what defines us is who we are at our core, and oftentimes that’s not what we present to the world. Maybe we should do that more often. Maybe if we did that, people might understand each other a little better and be more accepting of all the quirky differences that make us who we are as individuals in this big old blue world. Maybe we should worry less about what other people think about us and revel in the messiness that makes us uniquely us. Comes back to that daily dose of awesomeness I talked about in my last post. We all have a daily dose of awesomeness in us somewhere; sad sometimes that it takes crazyily dressed 3rd graders to remind us of that (and, yes, I just made up a word; I'm awesome that way). Go find your awesome and share it with the world.

8 comments:

Becca said...

Love this post and your goofy picture Kelly! Wow, I'd love to have my hair done by your girls. Lol! I have a Facebook page now. Patina Moon. Maybe I should think about a new profile pic. :-)

Kelly Warren said...

Thanks for stopping in to see me today Becca! I couldn't find you on Facebook, so please send me a link! You can find my profile page here: http://facebook.com/kelly.n.warren and my Happy Shack page here: http://www.facebook.com/Happy.Shack.Designs

Becky Shander said...

Your awesomeness radiates authentic energy...it's all so fabulous!

Kelly Warren said...

Thanks, Becky!

Anonymous said...

Amen, you Awesome Sistah of Goofiness!

You radiate not only beauty but wisdom we should all absorb on a daily basis. Love your tude, baby =-)

Now, where can I sign up for my awesome makeover?!?!

xo
Gwynnie

Martha Lever said...

You look FABULOUS!!! Bet that was fun!

lori vliegen said...

hello, awesomely made-over friend!! love your hair, love your make-up and most of all, LOVE your attitude! people don't have nearly enough fun anymore! and hey, i think your girls have a fabulous career ahead of them.......xoxox

Unknown said...

I meant to say how much I loved this post and I just realized I didn't!! But I loved this post!! Totally made my day when you posted it :)